Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Attitude adjustment

Here is A GREAT ARTICLE I encourage you to visit it TODAY:http://www.momof9splace.com/homemakeradjust.html
A Homemaker's Attitude Adjustment
Written By:©Niki
I don't know about you, but there's not a lot of housework Ireally LIKE to do. I don't like to mop, I don't like to cleanbathrooms, I don't like to fold laundry, and I don't really likedoing dishes. I do these things, but you know, I don't enjoy them abit. Sometimes I feel that the work never gets caught up. Just aboutthe time I get something clean, someone gets it dirty agan. Myhusband really likes for me to keep the house neat, and I know that.So I try (sort of), but never with the best of attitudes.In the past few weeks, the Lord has really convicted me aboutmy selfishness and my bad attitude toward my husband. The things thatare my responsibility, and should bring me joy, are the things I'mcomplaining about. I believe with all my heart that the place God hasfor me is just where I am - a "keeper at home", and yet I was feelingdissatisfied and disgruntled all the time.I have asked the Lord to forgive me, and to help me find joyin the work He has given me. I want to "walk worthy of the vocation"to which I've been called (Eph. 4:1).
The Lord has reminded me ofthree lessons which my mother has been trying to teach for years. Ijust thought these might be a help to someone else:
1. Prioritize your life, and make sure the Lord is at the top of thelist.Then, hubby is second. My job is to serve him, and if I do not carefor him properly, then I am not right with the Lord. That means, ifhe likes a clean house, then I should do my dead level best to keepit that way.
2. Be creative. Working at creativity is what elevates being ahousekeeper to being a homemaker.Instead of coming up with whatever you can find for dinner, plan amenu. Try some new recipes. Your husband will probably die of shock!Not only will it make dinner a little less boring, it will proablyhelp with the grocery bill. If he likes the house to be decorated forthe season (which my hubby does), plan ahead, and do it early,instead of waiting till the last possible minute, and grumbling aboutit (like I usually do!). Creativity is what makes homemaking fun. Itgives you an opportunity to be good at what you do. If you think youare just not a creative person, find good resources. Martha StewartLiving (magazine) is full of ideas (Just make sure you don't try herstock tips. You might wind up in jail!). Keep some spice in yourhomemaking (and don't just stick it in your cabinet).
3. Let your motivation be love, instead of duty.This is a principle which changes your outlook on everything.Remember when you were dating (or courting) your husband, and youcouldn't wait to make his favorite meal, or pie, or something just toshow him you loved him? Do you ever do that now? It doesn't seem likesuch a chore when you do it for love.The same is true in our relationship with the Lord. It is soeasy to do the right things because we know they are right, but notbecause we love and desire to please the Lord. When our relationshipis based on love for Him, nothing will seem too hard (2 Cor. 5:14) Ihave learned this lesson before, but I feel that I am learning it allover again.
I pray that this will be an encouragement to you.

1 comment:

Karen said...

"Let your motivation be love, instead of duty."

Doesn't that about sum it up? I love that article. :)